netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Oleg Doroshenko

A forum to share and discuss Contemporary Netsuke
Vlad

Oleg Doroshenko

Postby Vlad » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:56 am

Oleg Doroshenko, Kiev, Ukraine
The Art of Carving workshop

Oleg Doroshenko, an Eastern European professionally trained artist and carver, lives and works in Kiev, the capital of Ukraine. For five years he studied painting, drawing, sculpture, decorative composition and History of Arts in an art school, and had eventually graduated from an art college. In 1987, after two years of mandatory military service, he was employed as a professional artist and decorator to one of the oldest and the most famous in Ukraine Government-owned special equipment factory "Arsenal".

In 1990, Oleg enrolled into an advanced ivory carving course. Graduating one year later, he worked independently, at first just by creating different highly artistic Mammoth tusk decorative carvings.

In 1993 he started as an Art Director in a jewelry carving Company. Oleg was in charge of product design and making of bracelets, earrings, brooches, pendants, icons and sculptures. After 5 years with the company, he found himself out of drive and passion, with not enough room for artistic creativity and innovation, which had finally led him to resign and open his own private art workshop.

Working independently, Oleg was now able to think out of the box and create a great variety of carved art objects, made from different materials, often inlaid with precious and semi-precious stones such as amber, agate, garnets, and gold and silver.

To now days, he still finds it to be an absolutely wondrous and amazing experience creating various hand carved chess sets, small and medium size realistic sculptures and netsuke, in which he always finds and welcomes new challenges every time pushing himself technically beyond the established limits. He has found his unique and special strength in creating realistic carvings of pets, including from provided to him high resolution pictures.
Last edited by Vlad on Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

Vlad

Re: Oleg Doroshenko

Postby Vlad » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:58 am

We have never actually met... I am not a contemporary netsuke collector. Quite to the contrary - my personal collecting interest lies in the unsigned netsuke of the early period, preferably before the end of the 18th.

But something in the works of this Ukrainian carver from my city of origin had triggered my sudden interest. There were already a couple of well recognized in the contemporary netsuke world names from the area, like Sergey Osipov and Alexandr Derkachenko.

Not thinking much, I wrote to Oleg asking if there are any of his netsuke I can possibly see. To my greatest surprise, Oleg had barely heard anything about this art form and had never carved a netsuke yet. Well, that was enough to get me started!

The very first one was a challenging experience of a long distance back and forth communication on what the key netsuke rules are and what particularly to look for, what is the optimal size, shape and himotoshi placement, and the difference between the natural and drilled himotoshi and the overall esthetics of this art form...

This eventually resulted in the very first netsuke by the artist, still in my collection, the Kitsune, which most of you are very much familiar with.
Kitsune1.jpg
Kitsune2.jpg

Then came the second one, which was a result of our mutual design effort - the tanuki-cattle, which this time did not get that lucky to escape from the fireplace quite in time because of being carefully watched...
чайник12.jpg
чайник31.jpg

The rest is pretty much history of a relationship turning into a long distance friendship. It was a great fun watching Oleg developing into a quite known netsuke carver before my very eyes. Here is some of the feedback his work has received over the last few years from his well known fellow-carvers:

I don't usually comment on carvings as I don't post pics of my own, but I must say thats really good work, Superb!!! Regards Clive" - Carving Path, 2009

"...if I didn't know this piece was going to cost a fortune, I wouldn't mind owning it myself. Oleg, this piece is a big hit. Congratulations." - Freda Kvesic, UK, 2009

"Thank you Oleg! He makes me smile! What a great composition and carving of each material. Janelle" - Janelle Jacobson, Minnesota, USA, Carving Path, 2010

"I've a soft spot for Oleg Doroshenko's work; he's such a sharp sense of humour!" Freda Kvesic, UK, INS Forum, 2010

"Oleg, You have done one more masterpiece! Amazing, wonderful and so unusual! I so like your works! Thank You very much for this Beauty!" Natasha Popova, Moldova, Carving Path, 2012

"All of your art is beyond great. you are in a class all your own. wonderful, thank you for setting the bar so high." Robert Palmer, CA, USA, Carving Path. 2014

"Splendid vitality!" Jim Kelso, VT, USA, Carving Path, 2014

"Master Oleg ! Your new piece is again brilliant made, I very like the express !!! Cornel". Cornel Schneider, Switzerland, Carving Path, 2014

It all might've been going like this for the years to come, if not for the recent geo-political changes in Ukraine, which made me reaching out to him among many other compatriots to see if there is anything I could help with. The life was getting tough, particularly for the professionals in the art fields. The country has unified once again facing a thread to its independence and the very existence! The country was and remains at war!
The least I could do was to buy some of his existing works, and then to order some more, and some more... Fortunately, Oleg was not working with materials from endangered species, which made it easy for them to cross the country boarders.

And so, almost two years later, I became a happy owner of the following Oleg's works.

Tastes do differ. Some may not appreciate his works as much as works of some others, some may adore his ability to get a snapshot of living creatures (his forte in my uneducated opinion) and to capture it in a material of his choice for the years and generations to come.

I wish Oleg many more years of artistic inspiration and many more wonderful creations.

Some of his works will stay with me and some will eventually go, but the memories and the experience working closely with an artist and getting intimately involved in the magic-creating process are priceless and will stay with me for the rest of my life!

I hope you will enjoy them too.
Last edited by Vlad on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:59 am

Mammoth tusk, ebony.
58-35-27мм.
5.jpg
6.jpg

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:02 pm

mammoth tusk, ebony, 63мм, 32g
11017008_10202821814306016_6516009714431632079_n.jpg

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:03 pm

mammoth ivory, jet eyes, 56-38-37, 62g
bird 1.jpg
bird 2.jpg

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Gorilla mask, 53мм, ebony, mammoth tusk, garnet.
Gorilla.jpg
Gorilla1.jpg

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:05 pm

Italian heather root, ebony eyes. 60-44-42mm
Monkey 1.jpg
Monkey 2.jpg

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:07 pm

Panther ebony, amber eyes, mammoth tusk. 6 cm, 41g
Panther 1.jpg
Panther 5.jpg

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:08 pm

Mammoth ivory, ebony, granate. 56-55 mm, 73g
Rabbit1.jpg
Rabbit3.jpg

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:09 pm

mammoth tusk, garnet 50-35мм, 33g
Rat 2.jpg
Rat 4.jpg

Return to “Collectors Showcase”