netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Kagamibuta Revisited

A forum to share and discuss Contemporary Netsuke
Leon

Postby Leon » Thu May 23, 2013 8:59 pm

As an entry for a contemporary jewelry contest I made this kagamibuta set I wanted to make for years.
I played with the idea of a stylised kagamibuta and decided to dissect it into his three parts.
And seven of each gives numerous choices to suit the 'modern man'.

Theme for the contest was 'New Traditions - New Nomads'.
From my 'motivation' for the contest:
"...(I had to explain netsuke first, you don't need that do you?)...
Wouldn't it be great to possess a set of modern netsuke to choose from? For the discerning modern man, a set is the most fitting solution to our ever increasing load: pens, wallet, phone, business cards, etc. For this contest, my intention is to offer an accessory set with the different parts that constitute a kagamibuta style netsuke (see illustration). Bowl, disc and cord, each in 7 carefully selected materials. These can enable you to make choices to suit every mood, outfit, occasion, etc.
I have chosen the most abstract form to emphasise the notion that every material has its own character."

Those of you who met me in London must have seen me wearing one most of the time.
(There was this lovely lady, Paula I believe, who tried to convince a few of you to wear one too.)
Attachments
1558601_Kist_open.jpg
1558602_knoopjes.jpg
1558603_kist_dicht.jpg
1558604_amber.jpg
1558605_a_pak2.jpg
1558607_sigaretten.jpg
1558610_links.jpg
1558611_midden.jpg
1558612_rechts.jpg
1558613_haakjes.jpg

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu May 23, 2013 10:29 pm

Leon, I'm sorry we didn't meet in London. I really like the idea. Only thing I'd suggest perhaps is an upgrade on the cord material. Are these silk? Good silk cord is unfortunately expensive.
Alan

Leon

Postby Leon » Thu May 23, 2013 10:51 pm

These are silk cords Alan. Maybe a little thin but fine silk. Most of them from first class dyers, expensive indeed. :) Braided them myself. There's one solid silver twisted wire. I'm sure you understand that the cords and the carved knots are supposed to look as one and the same.

maric

Postby maric » Fri May 24, 2013 5:18 am

Hi Leon
I too love the idea of wearing Netsuke & you no doubt remember my Tiger Tooth Hawks head which I wore in my lapel on the Sunday of the UK convention.
Good luck with your endeavour.
Wes Thorpe

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri May 24, 2013 4:29 pm

Leon, it may have been the shot of the cords on the "stretcher" in which they appeared rather stiff but it is likely due to some having less tension on them. You really braided them youself?!
Alan

Leon

Postby Leon » Fri May 24, 2013 10:31 pm

You are right Alan. They are a little stiff. I braided them quite 'compact' to match with the size of the carved knots. But the feel is good, I think. 'Kumihimo' can be complicated, but there is also a simple way. And it is fun to experiment with variations in the weight of the bobbins.
There is indeed only a little tension on the hooks holding the cords, maybe I should fix that.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat May 25, 2013 12:51 am

Kudos, Leon on braiding the silk cords. I spent a few frustrating evenings trying to twist monofiliment nylon into braided leaders for salt water fly fishing years ago but once you get the knack of it they just seem to fly off your fingers.
Alan

Return to “Collectors Showcase”