netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Contemporary Kagamibuta

A forum to share and discuss Contemporary Netsuke

Postby RAF » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Here is a kagamibuta I commissioned from a contemporary Japanese carver. The lid is stag horn, and the bowl is Buffalo horn, which is nice since it can legally be shipped anywhere. Double inlaid eye. The only guidelines I gave were it's minimum dimensions and it should be "ghostly-ghoulish". This is a "Gaki" a tormented creature who in life was a greedy glutton and now in the afterlife cannot feed or drink because everything he touches turns to fire (he is known as the "hungry ghost"). The only exception is that he can eat and drink offerings formally made through the temple. That is what you see inserted on the side of the bowl--some kind soul has made an offering of meat to him which he is about to hungrily consume. I am delighted with this imaginative netsuke. Dont want to favor one contemporary carver over another in these postings so I have covered up his signature. Send me a PM for his name if you cant figure it out.

If Forum inputs helped you make a good buy/no buy netsuke decision, say thanks with a donation to INS (Home Page--"About Us")

Postby chonchon » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:38 pm

That is wonderful. Congratulations. :)

Size is something.

Postby Vlad » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Shikamasa-san did a great job this time again! Congratulations!
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:53 am

RAF, a great addition to your collection and just in time for Halloween. Perhaps others can show some ghoulish pieces in another thread.

Return to “Collectors Showcase”