netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Shibuichi kagamibuta

A forum to share and discuss Contemporary Netsuke
JimKelso

Postby JimKelso » Fri May 18, 2012 11:10 pm

I must apologize for my long absence from this forum. It has mostly to do with not being involved with netsuke for a while. I can’t remember when I last made a netsuke. I thought it was time to remedy that so I would like to share this kagamibuta that I am just finishing up.

The kagami is shibuichi, copper and gold with an engraved feather. The bowl is Ziricote wood from Mexico.

The photo doesn’t do justice to the nashiji(pear-skin) grain in the shibuichi and I’ll try to get a better photo of that. The smaller photo shows the piece roughly to scale (40mm diameter). The inlays are copper and gold.

The back has a himotoshi-gane of a single plum-blossom in 18k gold.

Thanks for looking. Jim

ImageImage

Attachments
1324805_IMGP5798PSE1webscale.jpg
1324806_IMGP5798PSE1web.jpg
1324807_IMGP5808PSE1web.jpg
"In all intellectual debates, both sides tend to be correct in what they affirm, and wrong in what they deny." John Stuart Mill

www.jimkelso.com

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Sat May 19, 2012 12:20 am

Jim, Fantastic netsuke, as always! Great taste and a feel for Japanese! Thank you for sharing! Sorry to hear you were not making netsuke for some time now...
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sat May 19, 2012 11:53 am

JimKelso wrote:
I must apologize for my long absence from this forum. It has mostly to do with not being involved with netsuke for a while. I can’t remember when I last made a netsuke. I thought it was time to remedy that so I would like to share this kagamibuta that I am just finishing up.

The kagami is shibuichi, copper and gold with an engraved feather. The bowl is Ziricote wood from Mexico.

The photo doesn’t do justice to the nashiji(pear-skin) grain in the shibuichi and I’ll try to get a better photo of that. The smaller photo shows the piece roughly to scale (40mm diameter). The inlays are copper and gold.

The back has a himotoshi-gane of a single plum-blossom in 18k gold.

Thanks for looking. Jim

Jim...I' know your artistic works since long time...and since long time I have admired your hight artistic level...your soul yes have some japanese spirit...in some auctions I tried without success to buy your netsuke for my The LUB Collection (Switzerland)...tks to share this splendid kagamibuta full of "meditation spirit"..hope you back frequently to our netsuke world, you are
a protagonist to create this art.

Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

JimKelso

Postby JimKelso » Sat May 19, 2012 12:12 pm

Thanks very much Vlad and Lub for your comments. Much appreciated.

I also have a newish website since I was last here where works of other types can be seen.

I do a bit of writing as well, mostly about nature, and some about Japan at my web-journal, if this is of interest.

Cheers,
Jim

"In all intellectual debates, both sides tend to be correct in what they affirm, and wrong in what they deny." John Stuart Mill

www.jimkelso.com

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat May 19, 2012 2:59 pm

Jim, that is a great piece. Full of Japanese spirit. There are many contemporary netsuke that I am not crazy about but I could be crazy for this one! It's a winner.
Was your absence from netsuke crafting the result of it being easier to sell other creations or just trying new things? I hope you will get back to netsuke more often.
Alan

RAF

Postby RAF » Sat May 19, 2012 3:58 pm

Jim

Beautiful, simple, elegant. Great work!
If Forum inputs helped you make a good buy/no buy netsuke decision, say thanks with a donation to INS (Home Page--"About Us")

JimKelso

Postby JimKelso » Sun May 20, 2012 12:40 pm

Thanks very much Alan and RAF.

Alan, the simple answer is, while I am enchanted by the Japanese people and their culture, I don't aspire to restrict myself to their traditional forms. It is rather more complex than that of course. I never know 2 months from now what I may be making. Actually I have wanted to make a netsuke for some years now but everything has to be in place; form, subject matter, technique, right materials and most importantly the creative impulse, which is somewhat hard to define.

I do enjoy making a wide variety of objects.

Thanks.

Jim

www.jimkelso.com

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Sun May 20, 2012 4:39 pm

Love your journal Jim!
Nec spe nec metu

JimKelso

Postby JimKelso » Tue May 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks very much Carlo. I'm glad you like it.

Here is another shot showing the highlights in the feather better and also the beauty of the wood.

Attachments
1326952_IMGP5847PSEweb2.jpg

www.jimkelso.com

Natasha

Postby Natasha » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:54 pm

The finest piece, as always, Jim! Thank You for the beauty!

Return to “Collectors Showcase”