netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Cloisonné in Sagemono

Discussion of different types of materials used for netsuke.
lohrberg

Cloisonné in Sagemono

Postby lohrberg » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:27 pm

Cloisonné and Sagemono

When I collected this BLUE SKY SAKURA pipecase made of cloisonné, ...., or let me begin again:

To say the truth. I was not attracted to cloisonné neither in Chinese nor in Japanese Art. Turning pages in auction catalogues meant jumping over the offer. In the sales rooms, I walked past the lots, ignoring them.

This changed from one day to another after a visit to the Namikawa Cloisonné Museum of Kyoto. This museum is easy to find in walking distance from the Sanjo area. The museum is the former house and garden of the cloisonné master Namikawa Yasuyuki (1845 -1927) and was built in 1894.
Please check via google. You will be thrilled by the beauty of the place.

Meanwhile this jewel of a small authentic museum belongs to my standard recommendations for art lovers, travelling Japan.

Back to cloisonné in sagemono:
Are there cloisonné netsuke? I am sure there must be, but I have never seen one.

Are there ojime? Yes, I have two myself.

Are there inro?
One is very well known in the Behrens collection, which later came up with Barry Davies and Gallery Gemini, Munic.
For this question I contacted Heinz & Else Kress. They told me, that in their archive of some 38.000 inro, there are 23 (!) cloisonné pieces.

How about pipecases? Some are illustrated in a Rokusho Magazine,

Reinhard
Attachments
070-01.JPG
070-02.JPG
070-03.JPG
070-04.JPG
070-05.JPG

mss

Re: pipe case addition

Postby mss » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:08 pm

A lovely pipe case, Reinhard. Is it very heavy? Every pipe case I've ever seen crafted totally, (not just inlay), in cloisonne, was , like yours, an aikuchi type. Assume this type chosen to obviate wear to the design from repeated removal of the insert.

You mentioned how rare cloisonne netsuke are. I underbid one, a kagamibuta, from the Wrangham I auction, lot 153. Have seen an occasional other kagamibuta with enamel disk, but can't remember a netsuke done exclusively in cloisonné.

Image included for your interest.

By Hirata Harunari, 19th century
The wood bowl with a shakudo ishime disc inlaid with three butterflies in cloisonné enamel, signed Hirata Harunari with kao.
Hirata Harunari (died 1840) was the son of Narisuke and the eighth master of the Hirata family of enamellers and sword fitting makers.
3.5 cm.
Attachments
Lot 153-1 copy.JPG

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:43 am

Simply beautiful pipe case, Reinhard, and a sweet little Netsuke Milton. Namikawa work tends to evoke superlatives. There are some vases for sale in London but I have never dared ask the price as they should really be in a museum.

Over the years I have had a few cloisonne' bits, but no-one ever took a second look at them. One long cylindrical drum Netsuke had butterflies on a blue/green background. The dealer who sold it to me said that it was very rare. Eventually I let it go for a song. Cloisonne' Ojime do come along, but most of the ones I have seen had some damage to them. I guess cloisonne' can get hit and ruined easily.
Last edited by chonchon on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:26 am

I saw this set last month at LACMA in a special exhibition of cloisonne works of various kinds. I believe it may have been by Yasuyuki.
20180311_112716.jpg
Alan

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:05 am

Shippo is way late in our common history for Netsuke, really a shame but we are lucky still to find some great applications of this technique in inro and Netsuke. Thank you for sharing :) :D
Nec spe nec metu

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:49 am

I particularly love Miltons butterfly netsuke and Reinhard, the pipe case you show is amazing, with that lovely dark blue ground for the flowers. really beautiful!
Judy

calbear

Postby calbear » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:57 pm

This inro, signed Koma Kyuhaku, is of Geese and Windblown Grasses Before a Rising Moon perhaps referencing Mushashi Plain. It includes a rare technique, zogan-nuri (simulated cloisonné) for the grasses.

IMG_0570.jpeg
IMG_0571.jpeg

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:44 pm

That is really beautiful Calbear! What a special piece to own!
Judy

mss

Postby mss » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:48 pm

jbjtennyo wrote:I particularly love Miltons butterfly netsuke and Reinhard, the pipe case you show is amazing, with that lovely dark blue ground for the flowers. really beautiful!

Wish it were, but not mine; as mentioned, I was the underbidder on that lot. Shown as example of the rather rare cloisonne netsuke (photo courtesy of Bonham's--other images may be available on their website).

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:59 pm

calbear wrote:This inro, signed Koma Kyuhaku, is of Geese and Windblown Grasses Before a Rising Moon perhaps referencing Mushashi Plain. It includes a rare technique, zogan-nuri (simulated cloisonné) for the grasses.

What a stunning inro. Thank you for sharing!

I have not heard of zogan-nuri technique before. After investigating I found the following description;

Fine metal wires are inlaid into the surface of the lacquer and then lacquered over frequently in various colours. The lacquer layers are then polished away revealing the metal wires, resulting in a final product similar in appearance to cloisonné.

Are you able to share a close up of this technique on your inro?
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Return to “Materials”