netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Red cranes in the sunset

Discussion of different types of materials used for netsuke.
Bakurae

Red cranes in the sunset

Postby Bakurae » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:27 am

or at least on the internet. I recently bought the object below, out of curiosity, on ebay as a "carved resin swan" netsuke, for a low price appropriate to a reproduction. By a strange coincidence, a netsuke that looks nearly identical (in the photos) is being offered in the upcoming August 22-23 Eldred's sale as an "early 19th-century Tsuishi lacquer crane."

http://www.eldreds.com/auctions/detail/ ... 64/dept/30

In that one it looks as though the himotoshi holes may connect with each other. In mine they are unconnected, as expected in a cast.

What can be going on here? Would mine be a cast of theirs? Could theirs be a resin reproduction like mine? Should I get in touch with Eldred's about it? And does anyone have a guess at the model for these cranes, perhaps in a museum? Red lacquer would seem an odd material for a crane, but maybe there is such a thing? Advice welcome!
crane 1.jpg
crane 2.jpg
crane 3.jpg
crane 4.jpg

Alison

jbjtennyo

Re: Red cranes in the sunset

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:28 pm

Hi Alison,
My, this is a sticky wicket!! Are the images that you put on your post images of the one you purchased on EBay? I used the prompt to see the one at Eldreds, and strangely it has some little elements hanging under his chin, as does yours. Both of those would make me want to look closer as it look like an uncleaned seam in a mold. if that's the case, I would think they were both copies of a netsuke that is perhaps in a museum. Strange though that it doesn't have a museum mark.

I have contacted a couple auction houses when I knew something was labeled incorrectly, or thought it might be. I am not sure they ever appreciate the information, but I always felt I did what I could to make the information right.

Good luck in whatever you decide. I would think your words would have some clout, considering your profession.
Judy

Bakurae

Re: Red cranes in the sunset

Postby Bakurae » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:56 am

Thanks, Judy. Yes, I noticed those hanging elements too. They can't be the same object, because one is in my hand and the other is still up for sale; but I think I owe Eldred's at least an alert to double check on what they've got. I hope somebody will recognize the museum source. It may be that the makers of these reproductions (if that's what they both are) colored them to resemble red lacquer precisely to make it clear that they are reproductions, of something that would more typically be ivory, even without a museum mark.

Alison

Return to “Materials”