netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Kagamibuta:Celluloid, Wood, Ivory or Other?

Discussion of different types of materials used for netsuke.
jbjtennyo

Re: Kagamibuta:Celluloid, Wood, Ivory or Other?

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:01 pm

Clive, I totally agree with what you have said--The INS does specialize in the study of authentic antique and contemporary netsuke. It seems to me that those who cannot accept the criticism here, calling black is black, will navigate to lesser demanding groups- so in your qualification of elite, I agree. Thanks
Judy

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:40 pm

Vlad wrote:I would still prefer keeping certain things to the members area, so if we happen to accidentally teach what we know to the potential new forgery makers, they at least pay for it! 8-)

Just what it's for ;)

Vlad please do what you will with the private members area - lead some ideas - that would be really appreciated by the whole community. But whatever you organise, stay mindful that the community can delete any historical information they submitted, from last April, onwards.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:55 pm

Vlad wrote:Aren't we turning this Forum into a social gathering defeating the whole purpose of education?

The new forum is a social gathering. This was the will of the community. The rules are relaxed - we are to be more welcoming.

Vlad wrote:So, where do we draw the line?

Vlad - please refer back to the consultation period and the resulting solution diagram. An educational site is coming soon. It's called http://www.netsukepedia.org. The lines were discussed and agreed Jan/Feb 2016.

Vlad wrote:Don't we need some sort of a commitment from the newcomers in the form of joining the INS ($125/year - really?!) first

You did not respond to my previous post. However at risk of repeating...

No pressure or commitment on new forum members. The idea is simple - this forum is now a social community project. We encourage newcomers to the INS by offering educational content inside member areas. The forum is a melting pot of ideas, personalities and differing levels of education and experience.

For those that are willing to share knowledge publicly here, thank you. For those that require something more scholarly, I aim to deliver a working model of the educational site, first quarter next year.

This Xmas - once I get time on holiday - I will be launching the INS members library section. And early next year, a new visual aspect to enhance and enrich our digital Journal offerings.

Vlad wrote:But how do we, and more importantly new members, just beginning collectors tell the difference between the "teacher" and the "student" in each of the groups, if the latter start expressing strong opinions and "consulting" those joining only a month later after hardly reading more than 2-3 basic books on the subject?

A a community we mostly point these beginners at books. In the middle is open, but polite debate. If there is a persistence for knowledge beyond that we are willing to spend the time or patience to provide, then instead, direct them to INS dealers who they can pay for the knowledge. Rules don't have to be "rigid" and "controlled" in this type of social environment.

However I did suggest, and had the chance to discuss, the concept of "subject matter experts" with individuals like Clive Hallam and Neil Holton. These guys would have an associated forum title, and the ability to close threads with a conclusive answer. I have yet to take this any further - the list of work is considerable.

Above is not anything I have not told you in my private interrogations. Patience Vlad :x
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:16 pm

Great! Even less reasons to explain anything. Let's just enjoy ourselves! :x

What is everybody doing for Christmas? :love:
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:15 am

Well, I don't know what you are doing, but I for one am counting my blessings, that someone with the knowledge and ability of Martyn, came forward, and not only designed a website based on ideas, input, and wishes from members, but paid for it as well. I think we should all give a loud thank you to a man who really put his personal life and professional life on the back burner while he tackled this huge project.
I know there are things that are still on the back burner that Martyn wants to complete for the lounge, but give a guy a break! There are only so many hours in a day, and he deserves the time to work out any details and other features of this website without being hassled. There is helpful criticism and destructive criticism, and I think all of us need to go for the helpful kind for a person that has come forward and done the work noone else would tackle.
But that's just my humble opinion...
Judy

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:53 am

Sorry, but I am not sure how this discussion is related to anything Martyn did and the sacrifices he had to make. (Big laud thank you and long applauds, of course! :love: :love: :love: )

I thought we were discussing how we were going to use it now, and I think I finally got it! :idea:
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:32 am

I don't wish to cause members upset. Please believe me when I say I feel relaxed about the situation. I decided to willingly take on the projects, and although they are time intensive, am not making any complaints about the situation :)

Vlad, you have many great ideas to share. I think sometimes language barriers cause complications or misunderstandings. I was not trying to suppress what you want to share but, perhaps unsuccessfully, attempting to answer the questions you posed.

Netsukepedia will become a community project once launched. You guys will be the authors of content (it will launch with a basic shell of data though). If you want me to explain it in more detail, I'll be happy to take the time to write up a concise synopsis once I get on holiday :)

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:07 pm

Martyn, I think giving a little summary of future plans might help some accept that the Lounge is a more social place than they might like but they could envision the more dedicated educational components developing. In the meantime continuing to generously share information via open exchange here is appreciated.
Alan

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:47 pm

That would be nice Martyn. Now, for what is worth, I'm still considering to renew my membership to the INS basically because there is an absolute lack of directions toward the future of collecting Netsuke as far as I see just evaluating the journal, the biannual convention and this place . This forum would be the only reason to renew but tell you the truth do not feel is enough to keep me around
Nec spe nec metu

mss

Postby mss » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:01 pm

Carlomagno: That would be nice Martyn. Now, for what is worth, I'm still considering to renew my membership to the INS basically because there is an absolute lack of directions toward the future of collecting Netsuke as far as I see just evaluating the journal, the biannual convention and this place . This forum would be the only reason to renew but tell you the truth do not feel is enough to keep me around

Could I ask what you mean by directions toward the future of collecting netsuke?

Return to “Materials”