netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Hare material help

Discussion of different types of materials used for netsuke.
onimh

Postby onimh » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:12 pm

Can anyone say what material this is?
It looks like two pin tests were done (in bad places) but when I did it several times in the himotoshi there was no effect.
Except for the coloration changes I've assumed it to be ivory carved by Masakazu, Masatoshi's brother. The second picture shows the color difference the best.
Thank you, as always, for your help.
Attachments
Masakazu_Hare_2_small.jpg
Masakazu_Hare_3_small.jpg
Masakazu_Hare_5_small.jpg
Masakazu_Hare_6_small.jpg

Tama

Postby Tama » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:46 pm

Matt, have you tried rubbing it on your teeth? That should tell you if you feel tooth on teeth or resin.

szwang

Postby szwang » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:48 pm

From the right side of the third picture, it is quite certain that this is ivory. It is a cute rabbit indeed, but I wouldn't say it's by Masakazu though. The details and shape appears to be fine, but they are extremely rigid(not vivid), and the ivory is indeed very new, the signature is not right. So I say it is a modern copy of Masakazu. But someone else may have another opinion.

Clive

Postby Clive » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:48 pm

Hi Onimh, it looks like elephant ivory.. could you please provide a couple of focused close-ups of the these areas?

Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg

OliMos

Postby OliMos » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:10 pm

This is something I would like to comment on but I'm advised that a dealer should not express an opinion about someone else's work of art as it is a very quick route to a court room. Makes me worry about writing auction reports. 

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:53 pm

Oli, it's all about opinions here and your post has already raised suspicions of many I'm sure so you may as well add what you are seeing. All also understand that some opinions carry more weight and that occasionally only an in-hand exam will give the definitive answer. I assume your withheld comment goes beyond the question of material?
Alan

Tama

Postby Tama » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:15 pm

Mr. Moss, you could always send a private message to Matt with your opinions on his hare.

OliMos

Postby OliMos » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:17 pm

The thing is Alan, even if it is a supportive message, like for example my opinion that a Tomotada signature on a piece that I didn't sell looks good to me. If that piece were to then be sold and someone bought it and decided it wasn't Tomotada, I could get in trouble if my personal opinion was on record as saying I thought the signature looked good. It hasn't happened yet in the netsuke market (as far as I know) but it has now happened in other art areas, particularly to New York dealers, that dealers cannot express their opinion. Not wanting to give an opinion could mean the comment is good or bad.

But what the hell...

The paws look quite naive and very sharp edged, the bottom left of the himotoshi is uneven and the bottom line and inking of the "masa" character is wobbly. All of which leads me to think it a late carving. I hope it isn't ivory but, sadly, suspect it is. I don't know if that means pre or post-convention and probably only an in-hand examination would reveal that.

All opinions given are mine as an individual and not held by any company I work for.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:43 pm

Oli, that's pretty much the response I expected. Tama's suggestion of sending a PM to the poster might protect you (your name would just as likely come out as the source of the opinion anyway if you'd done that) but then many people would be deprived of learning something from this topic. I suspect your motive here was to teach or at least to stimulate a debate on the characteristics you've brought up with disregard to this particular piece and its ownership. Thank you.
Alan

Clive

Postby Clive » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:51 pm

It's what I call a noisy carving Oli, the hair-work is quite finely done even if it is repetitive and boring but the overall form and other details were shaped by a high speed rotary power tool (noisy) . I imagine it is the product of a contemporary hobby carver.

Return to “Materials”