netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Rooster in hand

All questions about netsuke in this category will be moved here
Copyist303

Rooster in hand

Postby Copyist303 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:06 pm

Hello
I am totally new to netsuke and have come across this object by accident in a thrift shop but am fascinated to know more.
Is this old? It seems beautifully carved to me but maybe that’s not the whole point/can be a copy or a modern version?

It has what looks like a fairly clumsy coloured ‘signature’ inset into it.

Im finding myself fascinated! And amazed at the images I’m finding online.

Any help or thoughts very gratefully received. Apologies if not posted correctly
Attachments
043498AE-7C57-441B-BC77-5D6A70354F27.jpeg
7DBBA0E2-99B5-48D3-AB50-FE18E3765835.jpeg
01740AF3-7AB7-4118-8C7B-38687090FA30.jpeg
8937E55B-5E20-494F-8BE4-3DCB702E08A9.jpeg
332E4E1E-7C50-4C4E-8365-33301E75939E.jpeg

ModTeam

Re: Rooster in hand

Postby ModTeam » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:26 pm

Dear Wendy,

Welcome to the netsuke and sagemono lounge :)

The item(s) you have posted are categorised as an NLO (Netsuke Like Object). These types of works are commonly reproduced in the far east, are non Japanese, and have unreadable signatures applied.

We would also like to take this opportunity to make you aware we don't offer valuations on the forum, and solicitation of items is prohibited. That being said we are comfortable to say that NLO's are worth little to nothing commercially, and the real value will only be apparent in some form of sentimental meaning this piece may hold for you.

To help you understand more about NLO's we would like to direct you to read this introduction on modern souvenir productions (NLO's) - viewtopic.php?f=12122&t=7940207

Your topic has been moved into the Modern Tourist Souvenir Netsuke & Netsuke-like Objects forum. As little more can be said on the NLO, this thread has been locked.

You are actively welcomed to create further topics, ask questions, or share more of your collection. If you are genuinely interested in learning more about netsuke and sagemono we would encourage you to make use of the search feature on the forum, and look through the many examples of authentic netsuke already posted.

We hope to see you develop a genuine interest in this addictive art form, and please know, a friendly community of helpful individuals awaits to answer any further questions you may have.
The ModTeam

ModTeam

Postby ModTeam » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:29 pm

Hi Wendy,

hope this news does not disappoint too much ...
although this item may not be genuine, the positive thing is that it has raised your curiosity for netsuke and this may be the beginning of a fascinating journey of discovery ;)
Please do not hesitate to ask further questions about netsuke and we hope you enjoy exploring the Forum.
The ModTeam

Copyist303

Postby Copyist303 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:35 pm

That’s very helpful, thank you. Slightly disappointing after the initial excitement; The carving seems so intricate, I’m kind of impressed that this is not ‘real’! What a lot of effort.
I look forward to reading the link.

Copyist303

Postby Copyist303 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:18 pm

May I ask, is it particularly the signature that gives this away as a NSO or also or more the holes and their location? Or just the general overall look?
I’ve looked at some more pictures and guess I’m just whistful but also would like to learn now! ;)
Thank you for all contributions

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:07 am

Yes to all 3 of your questioned areas. The signature plaque inlay with red ink and wood used are typical of Indonesian NLO's. The himotoshi are illogically placed. The carving is crude and uninspired. We hope you will use the Search utility here to look at authentic roosters, birds, and himotoshi styles. In the second photo in the Introductory post to NLOs there is a cabinet full of similar items. They were priced at $20-30 each which is likely half of what the vendor paid for boxes of them.
Please browse around and enjoy the authentic netsuke Forum members have contributed.
Alan

Return to “Modern Tourist Souvenir Netsuke & Netsuke-like Objects”