netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

First netsuke!

All questions about netsuke in this category will be moved here
Dreg14

First netsuke!

Postby Dreg14 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:59 pm

Firstly, I would like to say thank you for creating this community and allowing me to be a part of it! I am an avid collector of nihonto, kakejiku and ukiyo-e, but I am a total novice in regard to netsuke. I do have a deep appreciation for craftsmanship and patience, which is reflected in all of these pursuits. It should see to reason that all those roads ultimately end here haha.

That said, this is my first piece. It looks to me to be boxwood, although the mei seems like it could be on ivory. While the approach to swords seems to be if it’s too nice and with a signature, it’s probably fake. This is about asthetics to me, and I appreciate the subtle humor of the piece, but I also believe in curation, and to be able to identify a piece of any kind is important to me, as well as beneficial to the next custodian. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Attachments
D1BFB8D4-DAEF-4AA2-903F-8458604C04FC.jpeg
93131A09-1631-405C-826E-3C9350531181.jpeg
4566EE85-0C9D-4DA7-BC87-D78ED66B75E7.jpeg

ModTeam

Re: First netsuke!

Postby ModTeam » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:26 pm

Dear Dreg14,

Welcome to the netsuke and sagemono lounge :)

The item(s) you have posted are categorised as an NLO (Netsuke Like Object). These types of works are commonly reproduced in the far east, are non Japanese, and have unreadable signatures applied.

We would also like to take this opportunity to make you aware we don't offer valuations on the forum, and solicitation of items is prohibited. That being said we are comfortable to say that NLO's are worth little to nothing commercially, and the real value will only be apparent in some form of sentimental meaning this piece may hold for you.

To help you understand more about NLO's we would like to direct you to read this introduction on modern souvenir productions (NLO's) - viewtopic.php?f=12122&t=7940207

Your topic has been moved into the Modern Tourist Souvenir Netsuke & Netsuke-like Objects forum. As little more can be said on the NLO, this thread has been locked.

You are actively welcomed to create further topics, ask questions, or share more of your collection. If you are genuinely interested in learning more about netsuke and sagemono we would encourage you to make use of the search feature on the forum, and look through the many examples of authentic netsuke already posted.

We hope to see you develop a genuine interest in this addictive art form, and please know, a friendly community of helpful individuals awaits to answer any further questions you may have.
The ModTeam

AFNetsuke

Re: First netsuke!

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:35 pm

Welcome to the Forum. You sound like a person who would do well in the netsuke arena after a bit of study. The inlaid plaque with inscribed signature is common to this sort of modern wood carving probably produced in southeast Asia. They sell for US $20-40 in shops where you may see bins full of them.
Please read through a bunch of the posts in the NLO forum where your post now resides and look at the similarities. And enjoy learning about authentic netsuke in all the other topics that are here for you to browse and educate yourself.
Alan

Return to “Modern Tourist Souvenir Netsuke & Netsuke-like Objects”