netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Information about my new netsuke

All questions about netsuke in this category will be moved here
Jal

Information about my new netsuke

Postby Jal » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Hi every body,

I bought a new netsuke for my collection this week, bus as I'm a beginer in the netsuke world, I need some information of my netsuke. I only can say that it is made in elephant ivory, and that it is very nice in my eyes! :) :) :)

Any kind of comment will be welcomed!

Jal.
Attachments
IMG_0267.JPG
IMG_0268.JPG
IMG_0269.JPG
IMG_0270.JPG
IMG_0271.JPG

AFNetsuke

Re: Information about my new netsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:46 am

Jal, it looks like you joined the Lounge 9 months ago. How much have you studied the huge amount of information here? I ask because this is an obvious modern NLO, roughly carved with typical scrawled meaningless "signature". You say you added this to your collection and I hope your other pieces are not similar. If someone sold you this as an authentic Japanese netsuke, get a refund. If you bought it as a trinket/souvenir I hope it cost less than about US$25.
Reach out to someone here for a bit of help before making another purchase and keep looking at the images here of good netsuke. Also study the many NLOs in this forum where your carving was moved.
Alan

Jal

Postby Jal » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:18 am

Dear AFNetsuke,

I know that it is a modern Netsuke, but as I'm a beginer in the Netsuke collection, I have prefered to start my collection with cheap items in order to learn before buy an old expensive netsuke. It have been very interesting in my learnig, because I have seen that the lines are made in a curious line of points!

In the other hand, it is not too bad carving!! :mrgreen:

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:14 pm

I am sorry, Jal but I don't think any serious collector here would agree that consciously wasting money on such items is the way to start a collection. The reason the Moderators allow so many postings in the forum on Modern Tourist Souvenir Netsuke and Netsuke-like Objects is so that you can learn from others' mistakes, save your hard earned money and either start collecting authentic netsuke at their entry level prices, save up for a better piece I guarantee you will be happier with in a few years, or NOT collect at all. Yes, I said NOT COLLECT! :o as our fear is that people will be not only wasting their money but also contributing to the slaughter of modern elephants which get poached to produce trinkets.
Alan

Jal

Postby Jal » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks for your opinion and comments, I will continue learning about these items.

Jal.

Return to “Modern Tourist Souvenir Netsuke & Netsuke-like Objects”