netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Reading signatures of NLO's

All questions about netsuke in this category will be moved here
HLH

Re: Reading signatures

Postby HLH » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:58 am

Alan
I naturally agree with your comments, but of most netsuke I’ve handled up to this date are primary NLO. I spend a lot of my free time studying about netsuke and Chinese porcelain. As I said to Piers, the comparision of the both arts are very much the same. Unfortunately you must be on watch all the time not to get cheated.
Henrik

Be careful out there
鬼は外、福は内

chonchon

Re: Reading signatures

Postby chonchon » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:04 am

That last one is still a mystery Henrik. Who said they could see Kokan there? Can you ask them for the Chinese/Japanese characters? Are there four characters there, or two? The way the 古 (ko) part is written is typical for modern Chinese handwriting.
Piers

Size is something.

HLH

Re: Reading signatures of NLO's

Postby HLH » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:52 pm

Piers,

I just got info that the inscription must be Chinese with 4 characters. I'ts not a surprise as the piece is a NLO probably H.K. made.
The seller says - Ko-kan - but nothing further.
Henrik

Be careful out there
鬼は外、福は内

Return to “Modern Tourist Souvenir Netsuke & Netsuke-like Objects”