netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Question About a Crane or Heron Netsuke

All questions about netsuke in this category will be moved here
avalata

Question About a Crane or Heron Netsuke

Postby avalata » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:46 am

Hi,

I purchased this netsuke on one of the auction forums, as a gift for my mother, and although I am a reseller of antique silver, I don't know anything about netsuke or Japanese decorative arts generally. I have the impression this bird is a crane or heron, and that it represents long life. The seller represented the piece as being of boxwood. It measures as follows: 12 grams in weight and 1.75" long / 1.16" wide / 1.07" tall. I haven't yet received it, but the eyes appear to be of glass? The feet are interesting and detailed. I honestly have no idea if this is a true netsuke object, or a modern reproduction from China or somewhere similar. It is fine if it is a repro, but if not, I would be interested in understanding more about the piece. Thanks! Best, Cliff
Attachments
Crane 2.jpg
Crane 1.jpg
Crane 3.jpg
Crane 4.jpg
Crane 5.jpg

AFNetsuke

Re: Question About a Crane or Heron Netsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:18 pm

Dear Avalata,

Welcome to the netsuke and sagemono lounge :)

The item(s) you have posted are categorised as an NLO (Netsuke Like Object). These types of works are commonly reproduced in the far east, are non Japanese, and have unreadable signatures applied.

We would also like to take this opportunity to make you aware we don't offer valuations on the forum, and solicitation of items is prohibited. That being said we are comfortable to say that NLO's are worth little to nothing commercially, and the real value will only be apparent in some form of sentimental meaning this piece may hold for you.

To help you understand more about NLO's we would like to direct you to read this introduction on modern souvenir productions (NLO's) - viewtopic.php?f=12122&t=7940207

Your topic has been moved into the Modern Tourist Souvenir Netsuke & Netsuke-like Objects forum. Little more can be said on the NLO.

You are actively welcomed to create further topics, ask questions, or share more of your collection. If you are genuinely interested in learning more about netsuke and sagemono we would encourage you to make use of the search feature on the forum, and look through the many examples of authentic netsuke already posted.

We hope to see you develop a genuine interest in this addictive art form, and please know, a friendly community of helpful individuals awaits to answer any further questions you may have.
Last edited by AFNetsuke on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

avalata

Re: Question About a Crane or Heron Netsuke

Postby avalata » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:48 pm

Thanks much! I do want to learn more - a fascinating field!

Return to “Modern Tourist Souvenir Netsuke & Netsuke-like Objects”