netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

A Confused Sage

All questions about netsuke in this category will be moved here
Curt

A Confused Sage

Postby Curt » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:56 am

Here's another one that I find confusing. To my eye this is very well carved and detailed - just like a lot of the ones I have. I observed that the quality of carving is only one element. It seems to have a niice natural patina on the back shoulder area. Compared to several others I have posted it is much better quality. Perhaps I'm gun shy, but it still seems off. I think it has some age, but maybe not enough? If someone could take this guy's stick and beat some knowledge in my head - it would be much appreciated. :)
Purchase date April 1999 - Entry reads: Well-carved and detailed, antique ivory netsuke of a sage with staff, signed, ex: DuPont Collection.
Attachments
N53F.jpg
N53R.jpg
N53B.jpg

chonchon

Re: A Confused Sage

Postby chonchon » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:04 am

This one is not my cup of tea, Curt, even if there is some work in it. The facial expression appeals to the casual Western buyer, the black eyebrows give me a warning sign, the signature looks spidery. (The base may be a separate piece of walrus tusk.) As a decoration it is fine, but not as a collector's Netsuke. Just one opinion.
Piers

Size is something.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:16 pm

Morning Curt,
Sorry to say I agree with Piers on this -there are several things that put up a warning sign to me - The black sumi ink or paint in the eyes and brows is one thing that shuts me down a requires closer examination. Again, the rings around the himotoshi signals 20C tourist piece. Not so much a patina present a a kind of weak stain. Not a collectable netsuke I'm afraid. :(
Sorry....
Judy

Curt

Postby Curt » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Piers and Judy -
Thanks for the explanations. I think your observations are very helpful to beginners like me. I can see what you are referring to, as well as why untrained eyes like mine are drawn to such pieces. I feel in the last couple of weeks I have a slightly better understanding of what qualities are important. I look at the ones I have with a little different mind set. Many are starting to look like pretty cabinet trinkets, some you will see are very well carved. But as Judy has noted and I draw parallels in the art world - authenticity maters. Oh, and size is something too, Piers. :)
The education is worth the cost of the mistakes.

Return to “Modern Tourist Souvenir Netsuke & Netsuke-like Objects”