netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

The Grind

All questions about netsuke in this category will be moved here
Curt

The Grind

Postby Curt » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:12 pm

Friday morning here in Indiana - the end of the weekly grind for those that work - except for shop owners like me who work 7 days a week. And those retired folks - don't rub it in.
Speaking of the daily grind. Today's NLO was purchased in May, 1999. I'm not certain what I found so attractive about this little guy. But he's on my shelf, so there must of been some reason. He is not as well carved as my last posting. But I am learning that fine carving does not make for an authentic netsuke. I bought these nearly two decades ago without the knowledge needed. Since I look at these from an artistic point of view, I think they're fine little carvings, just not to the period or intent of an authentic one. That's why your comments are welcomed - I learn something and hopefully others do too.

Entry reads: "Old, well carved and detailed, ivory netsuke of a seated boy with grinder and sack, signed.
Attachments
N4F.jpg
N4R.jpg
N4B.jpg

Operafan

Re: The Grind

Postby Operafan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi Curt,

I have the feeling that you positioned the young grinder in the correct thread :D

The bottom of the basket reminded me of my (not so young) egg tester. I post here some photos, to compare the two baskets....

Front 1.JPG

Back 1.JPG

Bottom 1.JPG
Alex

Curt

Postby Curt » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:45 pm

Wow, Alex!
Thank you for posting this - but I can hardly tell the difference? ;)
That is beautiful. This side by side comparison is very helpful to me, and I hope others.
How's the squash game?

Operafan

Postby Operafan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:44 pm

With the age, I am becoming slightly better with netsuke, and a lot worse in squash.

Up to a few years ago, I had this saying: Winning is not the most important thing... It is the only thing ! By now I skipped the second part :(
Alex

Curt

Postby Curt » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:27 pm

Alex, I know the feeling - after a new knee and ankle I'm happy just walking about. So my motto now is "Winning isn't everything - showing up is good enough".
I would love to see more of your collections.

Return to “Modern Tourist Souvenir Netsuke & Netsuke-like Objects”