netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Bonsai Man

All questions about netsuke in this category will be moved here
Curt

Re: Bonsai Man

Postby Curt » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:42 pm

Thank you Judy -
Yes, I do understand the reactions - and I'm certain it is far more painful for true collectors to see some of my postings than it is for me to hear the opinions. Trust me, I've made much larger financial mistakes. :shock:

But, I also think it is very helpful to those who are just starting out to see the wide variety of NLO. I my mind when I purchased these I visualized NLOs as the typical multicolored trinkets. These are well above that - but I also have learned in just my brief time here a sliver of the true spirit and intent of authentic netsuke. You and the others passion and knowledge of these works of art are not lost on me - it's quite amazing, really.

I noticed operafan just posted an image on my Grinder post showing a basket detail - this is very helpful to me, and I hope others as well. Seeing this beautiful netsuke is inspiring!

I've been fortunate to survive and thrive in the retail world, our little shop celebrating 70 years, but for the general public you have to compromise your tastes and price points. Outside the work of some of our glass artists and potters, there's not much in my shop I'd care to take home. We have some beautiful things, but as you know authenticity counts.

Judy, there are still a few in my collection that I think you will enjoy, it's just I've run into a rough patch in the chronological order of purchases. :)
If you think it would be better, I could post a group of the ones my eye now sees as NLO and post the ones I have questions about separately. It would be easier for me, but though the potential educational value would be better with individual posts in the NLO forum.

I hope everyone has a great weekend 8-)

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:58 am

Curt,
Thank you for showing us your pet rescue Bonsai. I think it looks pretty! A friend in Sweden recently did roughly the same as you, cutting it right back, and he was so happy in the spring when the dry, dead-and-buried twig started to put forth green shoots, that he sent me a series of proud fatherly photographs of its growth.
There is at least a third category of Netsuke which includes genuine old, even very old examples which for one reason or another do not fit the Western ‘taste’ and thus fetch no great price on the Netsuke circuit. I like these personally speaking, because we can learn much about the underlying remit and role of Netsuke at various societal levels in feudal Japan.
Piers

Size is something.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:54 am

Hi Curt, You can post these anyway you choose. I always look forward to seeing them as do others-I am just disheartened to not be able to give you better news. Piers posts many things that he finds in Japan that might not be "collectible" here but we always learn so much from his posts, and they add an insight that we would not be privy to otherwise here in the states.
I feel better knowing that you are giving us your feelings on them first, and then we can add to it. That way, we can share perspectives, and you are part of that categorizing process.
You have a great weekend too!
Judy

Curt

Postby Curt » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:14 pm

jbjtennyo wrote:Hi Curt, You can post these anyway you choose. I always look forward to seeing them as do others-I am just disheartened to not be able to give you better news.

Thanks for this Judy!
Your recent responses have made me aware of a parallel with my line of work in art. We always offer people a free review of originality of any work of art they bring in. I see several pieces each week. I'd say 2 or 3 over the last 10 years were worth a trip to the auction block. We never offer to buy these pieces. Almost all are reproductions, Worse yet are owners of "Giclee" prints - they think they are valuable, but they have no value, artistically or historically - just as in lots of my netsuke. They all lack authenticity.
I have others I am puzzled by that I'll post over the next few weeks. They are well carved and purported to come from better collections, I guess we'll see. :)

Return to “Modern Tourist Souvenir Netsuke & Netsuke-like Objects”