netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Hello all and help with identification and dating

All questions about netsuke in this category will be moved here
odintiger

Hello all and help with identification and dating

Postby odintiger » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:00 pm

Hello to all and thank you ahead of time for the help I am sure to get regarding my two netsuke carvings. I am a total newbee to the realm of netsuke. As it happens I made an impulse purchase at an auction I attended over a year ago after falling in love with the two carvings and had to have them. I have been trying to do some research on the makers authenticity but no luck,I just happen to be on line again an found this forum,and I hope someone here will be able to help.

1. Help with identifying the carvers
2 Help with dating
3 Help with possible value or non value of the carvings

The carvings are made of ivory that I am sure of but that's about all I know
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

ModTeam

Re: Hello all and help with identification and dating

Postby ModTeam » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:45 pm

Dear Odintiger,

Welcome to the netsuke and sagemono lounge :)

The first item you have posted (two dogs) is categorised as an NLO (Netsuke Like Object). These types of works are commonly reproduced in the far east, are non Japanese, and have unreadable signatures applied.

We would also like to take this opportunity to make you aware we don't offer valuations on the forum, and solicitation of items is prohibited. That being said we are comfortable to say that NLO's are worth little to nothing commercially, and the real value will only be apparent in some form of sentimental meaning this piece may hold for you.

To help you understand more about NLO's we would like to direct you to read this introduction on modern souvenir productions (NLO's) - viewtopic.php?f=12122&t=7940207

Your topic has been moved into the Modern Tourist Souvenir Netsuke & Netsuke-like Objects forum. Little more can be said about the first piece. The second figure does have some better qualities such as pose, movement, certain details, but also some features of a tourist piece. Perhaps it is by a late known artist so we will leave this topic unlocked in case anyone wants to opine as to signature, dating, etc.

You are actively welcomed to create further topics, ask questions, or share more of your collection. If you are genuinely interested in learning more about netsuke and sagemono we would encourage you to make use of the search feature on the forum, and look through the many examples of authentic netsuke already posted.

We hope to see you develop a genuine interest in this addictive art form, and please know, a friendly community of helpful individuals awaits to answer any further questions you may have.
Last edited by AFNetsuke on Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The ModTeam

odintiger

Postby odintiger » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:12 pm

Thank you for the insight apology for the valuation question omit that then,I figured that the dogs were a little crude as far as carving goes . Any further.help on the second carving would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
Chris

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:29 pm

Indeed, Chris, the second figure seems a bit better ...
The signature is a bit better than the scribble that we see so often on NLOs, although it seems a bit too big overall and the kakihan in light red is not very successful. The signature might be read as "Shuzan".
秀 (Hide, Shu)
山 (San, Zan, Sen, Zen) (although there is a little extra stroke in this kanji).

Some positive thing that can be said about this figure is that it has movement and considerable detail and is untypical of the hasty work of the NLO pieces. The piece does not look very old, this is a bit difficult to ascertain from pictures alone. It may be from the beginning of the 20th century or later.
Jan

odintiger

Postby odintiger » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:45 pm

Does that mean the kakihan is just jibberish and there can be no association made to a maker?

And thank you for the insight

Return to “Modern Tourist Souvenir Netsuke & Netsuke-like Objects”